Sunday 1 April 2018

Martina Amati: Under: Somewhere In Between, The Wellcome Collection


until 27 08 18


100m
Breathing is the soundtrack.

When I was seven
I asked my mother
To trip me to the bay
And put me on a ship
And lower me down
Lower me out of here
Because when I was seven
I wanted to live in a bathysphere


Beautiful in unmatched visuals, Under fills up the room as in a tank, immersing you in a limited but still a place with no horizon. I advise us all to sit down and breathe back, in turns.

This depthless space, where light seems emanating from instead of refracting into, is serene. It is timeless, it is where we go when we dream. Or maybe when we are afraid. There is no direction, no orientation, no azimuths, no nadirs. Just a white line, a blade cutting it deep, a place safe from gravity and fall; you can never fall. You can never hurt.

Between coral
Silent eel
Silver swordfish
I can't really feel or dream down here

A school of fish sweetly breaks this meditative state for a second.

Three figures, trapeze, ancient frescoes, animalistic, walk the white ropes in processional dance; they are the Rites of Demeter, the nymphs tempting the passerby, the Ballets Russes, the kids you want to follow, the mermaids that will never choose to dissolve into foam.

And if the water should cut my line
Set me free
And if the water should cut my line
Set me free, I don't mind
I'll be the lost sailor, my home is the sea


An upside down world that makes more sense than the one we know. With an exit route, a ring connecting you to the line guiding you out of it, the line we might choose not to follow. Even if for the duration of a breath.

A world where we are finally weightless again.

When I was seven
My father said to me
'But you can't swim'
And I've never dreamed of the sea again



Lyrics: Smog ‘Bathysphere’

more info:
https://wellcomecollection.org/exhibitions/WhvoAykAACgAlDoo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_discography

No comments: